Oh my, Cranberry Orange Bread
One of my favorite breads is Cranberry Orange – I just love it’s sunshiny, citrusy flavor. Here’s a recipe for you to try. It makes great bread using a loaf pan, or muffins using a 12-muffin pan, a bundt cake pan (finished off by sprinkling it with powdered sugar), or baby cakes if baked in a mini bundt cake tray (to serve as demi desserts garnished with fresh cranberries and pecans). This basic recipe is a great foundation for others. Get creative and make your own recipe using the ingredients that make your mouth water. I’m looking forward to trying a variation of Pumpkin Pecan Cranberry Orange mini bundt cakes inspired by Tongue N Cheeky’s recipe (stay tuned for the results). See below for more variations and a shortcut tip if you’re in a hurry.
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 to 1 cup sugar (depending on how sweet you’d like it)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel (zest from 1 orange)
- 1/2 cup of orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh, canned, or frozen cranberries
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg and orange peel. I use a whisk and mix by hand rather than using an electric blender.
- Combine the dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with juice.
- Fold in cranberries. If you’re adding anything else, such as raisins or nuts, do so now.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. x 3-in. loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Serve at room temperature.
- Add 1 cup golden raisins for added texture and color.
- Add 1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds if that suits your fancy.
- For darker flavor, add 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg and 1 teaspoon ground ginger.
- Go nuts and add 1/2 cup toasted chopped pecans.
If you’re short on time, I highly recommend the Krusteaz Cranberry Orange Quick Bread or Muffin Mix. They also make a fat free version of the muffin mix if you want to cut back on the sugar and calories too. The Krusteaz Quick Bread has orange peel flavor already in the mix and canned cranberries included in the box. Follow directions on the box.