Betty Crocker’s Easy Design Cupcakes
To give you a glimpse into Betty Crocker Just Cupcakes: 100 Recipes for the Way You Really Cook, here’s the recipe for Easy Design Cupcakes. The prep time is only 40 minutes, so from start to finish (including cooling time) with this recipe, you’ll have 24 cupcakes ready to eat in under 2 hours. All said and done, each Easy Design Cupcake is a 220-calorie snack (see below for more nutrition facts).
- 2 packages (3 oz each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 bag (6 oz/1 cup) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 box (1 lb 2.25 oz) devil’s food cake mix with pudding in the mix
- Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
- 1 1/2 oz cream cheese (from 3 oz package), softened
- 4 teaspoons sugar (for cream cheese decorating mix)
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups. In medium mixing bowl, beat 2 packages cream cheese, 1/3 cup sugar and the egg with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips; set aside.
2. Make cake mix as directed on box, using water, oil and eggs. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Top each cup with 1 tablespoon cream cheese mixture (mixture will sink into batter).
3. In small mixing bowl, beat 1 1/2 ounces cream cheese and 4 teaspoons sugar with spoon until smooth. Spoon into corner of small plastic food-storage bag. Cut 1/8 inch tip off 1 bottom corner of bag. Pipe mixture onto batter in a small design to decorate tops of cupcakes.
4. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until tops spring back when touched lightly. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 50 minutes.
Serving: 1 cupcake (cake and frosting); 220 Calories, 110 Calories from Fat, 12g Total Fat, 5g Saturated Fat, 45mg Cholesterol, 200mg Sodium, 26g Total Carbohydrate, 1g Dietary Fiber.
For this and more recipes like it, see Betty Crocker Just Cupcakes: 100 Recipes for the Way You Really Cook by the Betty Crocker Editors. Click here to read my review of the cookbook.